Gov. Beshear provided a COVID-19 update to Kentuckians via Facebook this afternoon.
Gov. Beshear said that 2,753 new COVID-19 cases were confirmed today, which is the fourth highest number since the pandemic began. He said that the five highest days since the beginning have been in the last week.
He announced 15 new deaths from COVID-19 for the day, one of which was a 15-year-old girl from Ballard County.
Gov. Beshear announced new restrictions that he believes will help slow the spread of the virus. Beginning on Nov. 20 at 5 p.m. and lasting through Dec. 13 at 11:59 p.m., indoor social gatherings are limited to your current household plus one other household not to exceed a total of 8 people. Attendance at venues has also been limited to no more than 25 people per room. This includes funerals and weddings but does not apply to places of worship. Gov. Beshear said that he would make specific recommendations to churches tomorrow.
Additionally, Gov. Beshear said that bars and restaurants will close for indoor services, but outdoor service and delivery/to-go are still allowed. He said that the state is launching a $40 million fund to assist bars and restaurants impacted by this restriction. Each qualifying applicant will receive $10,000 to use for various costs. Program details are being finalized, and applications are being accepted online.
Gyms have also been limited to 33 percent capacity, and group classes are prohibited. KHSAA decided to postpone all fall sports and practices until after Dec. 18. That same decision will be applied for all indoor recreation facilities.
All public and private schools (K-12) will cease in-person instruction beginning Nov. 23. Middle and high schools will remain in remote instruction until Jan. 4, 2021. Elementary schools may reopen on Dec. 7 if the county is not in the red zone and the school follows healthy at schools guidance.