top of page

Police: Daughter attacks father with hatchet

Staff Report

 A woman has been charged with attempted murder after officials say she left her father to bleed to death in his own home.

 According to the Meade County Sheriff’s Office, on June 1, Deputy J. Spencer responded to Hardin County Memorial Hospital in an attempt to make a welfare check on a Russell Clark. Spencer made contact with Clark, who was in a bed recovering from what appeared to be large lacerations to his head, right forearm and left hand. He had a large gauze bandage wrapped around his head and forearm, which both were soaked with blood.

 Clark stated that he had been sitting in his recliner in the living room eating a piece of chicken when his daughter, Zetta Thompson, walked into his home without knocking and started to curse. After a few minutes, Thompson removed a hatchet that was out of sight from Clark and began to strike him with the hatchet. Thompson struck Clark in the top of his head three times, once in the frontal lobe of the head, twice on his right forearm when Clark had placed his arm up to protect his face and head, and his right hand from trying to protect his face. Clark suffered severe blunt-force trauma to multiple areas of his body and had lost a lot of blood during the attack. Thompson struck him so many times, it forced him down into the floor where he curled up to protect his face and head.

 After the attack, Clark stated that Thompson had stolen his 1996 Silverado, a handgun, and his cell phone. Clark stated that he felt as if his daughter was trying to kill him during this attack, and she had taken his phone so that he could not phone for help during his life-threatening emergency.

 “[Thompson] had left her father to bleed to death in his own home,” officials say.

 Clark stated he gathered a few items and drove himself to the hospital approximately 30 minutes from his home in Vine Grove for treatment. He stated that he never lost consciousness in the attack. Clark was then flown to U of L Hospital to be treated. Officials say Clark was in great spirits considering what he had went through.

 Deputy Spencer returned to the location where the attack happened in an attempt to try and recover the weapon used in the attack and take photos of the crime scene. Deputies were unable to locate any weapons.

Thompson was arrested and charged with attempted murder, theft by unlawful taking or disp. – auto (facilitation), first-degree burglary (facilitation), and theft by unlawful taking or disp. – firearm (facilitation).