top of page

Tax season is coming

The deadline to file tax returns in 2021 is Thursday, April 15. The Internal Revenue Service will begin accepting individual tax returns on February 12, 2021, and people can file their returns in various ways.

Before men and women can begin preparing their returns, they first must gather all of the necessary forms and documents. If any forms are not included, taxpayers may have to prepare tax amendments, which leads to more work and may delay the time it takes to receive a refund. Taxpayers who have questions about their returns can access 24-hour tax help via the IRS website at

According to, an authorized IRS efile provider, the following forms and documents may be needed in order for taxpayers to file their returns promptly and correctly.

Taxable income forms, documents

· W-2 Form(s) for wages, salaries and tips

· Interest income statements: Form 1099-INT, 1099-OID

· Dividend income statements: Form 1099-DIV

· Sales of stock, land, etc. for capital gains: Form 1099-B

· Sales of real estate: Form 1099-S

· State tax refunds: Form 1099-G

· Alimony received or paid

· Unemployment compensation received

· Miscellaneous income: Form 1099-MISC

· Retirement income: Form 1099-R

· Social security income and railroad retirement income: Form SSA-1099

· Business income and expenses

· Rental income and expenses

· Farm income and expenses

· Form K-1 income from partnerships, trusts, and S-corporations

· Tax deductible miles traveled for business purposes

Tax credits

· Child tax credit

· Child care provider address, I.D. number and amounts paid for the child and dependent care credit

· Earned income tax credit (EITC)

· Adoption expense information for the adoption credit

· Foreign taxes paid

· First-time home buyer tax credit

Tax deductions and expenses

· Medical expenses for the family

· Medical insurance paid

· Prescription medicines and drugs

· Doctor and dentist payments

· Hospital and nurse payments